For the last few days I am going to be working on a larger project that is intertwined with our family purpose statement. I am taking an old shutter that my in-laws gave me, repainting it, putting coat hooks on it and then doing three blocks of artwork that incorporate a summary of our purpose statement, or the whole statement itself. This may of course change a little if I get other inspiration.
Unfortunately I have to admit, I over committed to these daily blog post. Not in general, but just a few days before Christmas! So I will resume it in full force next week!
Today I want to talk about purpose statements and give you some thoughts surrounding ours. I would LOVE to hear if your family has some kind of statement and to get some ideas from you!
Let’s look again at the definition of purpose. As a noun (refresher: person, place or thing) it means:
“The reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.”
As a verb, or an action it means:
“Have as one’s intention or objective”
From the simple definition we can see that there are two folds to your purpose. Purpose is figuring out exactly who you are and why you are here, but it is also acting firmly on the objective that you have set.
Here are some things that our family holds as important. All of these things are principles that we would want to fit within an all-encompassing summarized statement. This isn’t the be all and end all of what’s important to us, this is mainly to help us process what values we hold dear.
- We believe that our number one purpose is to love the Lord our God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength and endeavor to fulfill the destiny that he has for us. (Mark 12:30)
- We believe that strong families are the foundation of a strong nation. We value our commitment to marriage, and then our commitment to loving and nurturing our children. (Malachi 2:15-16, Joshua 24:15)
- We believe God has created us and given us gifts to help each other and to help others. We value serving in our church family and serving those around us with needs ultimately to lead them to Christ and show Jesus’ love. (1 Corinthians 12:7-11)
- We believe that we are to be leaders in the area of honour and integrity to the world around us. (Psalm 26:11-12)
- We believe in protecting our home, to “set nothing wicked before our eyes” and to “guard our hearts and minds”. (Psalm 101:3, Proverbs 4:23)
So that is our start! We’re still praying about anything else that needs to be in it. Now to come up with a statement that covers all that!
Please share your thoughts on purpose on a personal or family level to encourage others to explore their own purpose!