After my post, Financial Trust, I had a few readers ask me to share my meal plan. So this is a practical post sharing this weeks meal plan, recipes and some resources and tips I’ve found helpful to learning how to meal plan.
This might seem so unspiritual, but let me tell you I have learned a lot about being a Proverbs 31 wife and mom from learning how to budget and plan healthy meals for my family. These things are disciplines that equip you to better serve the Lord in the future. Organization is key to being able to handle all that God might put on your plate.
If you have dreams in your heart and plans you want to fulfill, your finances will have to be in order, and your time in check.
Don’t be overwhelmed. This is a process. I’m still learning too!
I actually plan my meals in two-week blocks with the pay periods, but I will just share one week today.
Here are some helpful tips I keep in mind when meal planning:
- Shop your pantry first. Why make rotini pasta this week when you’re stocked up on penne?
- Be flexible with your meal plan around the sales of the week.
- Plan healthy baking to curb the unhealthy sugar purchases.
These websites/blog posts have been very helpful to learning how to meal plan and budget my groceries:
This is the routine I have for my weekly meals:
- S is for SIMPLE. Saturdays and Sundays are easy. Frozen pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc are a part of our weekend life. Family time is more important to me than cooking!
- Have one meatless meal a week.
- Assign one meal to chicken, one to ground beef and one to fish.
- Thursdays is always leftovers because I have my break that afternoon and do not want to mess around with supper!
- Tuesdays and Saturdays are dessert nights. We’re trying to cut down on our endless sugar intake.
Superstore’s coupon this week is that when you spend $250 you receive a $25 gift card. I will buy all my groceries for the next two weeks there to get that. Usually I browse the flyers for the best deals.
There is another deal for the long weekend that if you buy frozen burgers you receive buns, pickles, juice and chips for free. This is perfect for our Labour Day Football BBQ!
Here is our meal plan. Lunches and snacks aim to be school and work friendly since I have a high school student as well as a husband who needs food at work!
Weekly Meal Plan
Breakfasts: Fruit, Toast, Cereal, Oatmeal
Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese (for those at home)
PB + J Sandwiches
Deli Meat Sandwiches
Muffins & Cheese
Apples & Peanut Butter
No Bake Energy Bites
BBQ Hamburgers (Superstore Meal Deal)
Black Bean Soup & Biscuits
Thai Chicken Stir Fry & Rice
Tuna Egg Noodle Casserole
Cheeseburger Meatloaf (with real cheese, not cheese whiz), Potato Wedges & Steamed Veggies
Frozen Pizza, Salad
What’s on your menu for the week? Share your meals, ideas and tips!