Sweet Potato Blender Muffins
Monday mornings always sneak up on me. I enjoy them for a number of reasons, but I generally hit them unprepared.
This Monday was no exception. I had no snack to send with my kids to daycare. They only go one morning a week, so following the routine and sending a good snack is vital to their willingness to leave us.
I had some leftover sweet potato in my fridge and quickly searched for a sweet potato muffin on Pinterest. One recipe quickly caught my attention from “Super Healthy Kids”.
(I’m guessing it was just that name that caught my attention!)
These Flourless Sweet Potato Blender Muffins were SO good! They actually tasted like pumpkin pie filling. I ate a couple right out of the oven, and they were even more amazing hot!
I made two changes:
- I used 1/4 cup of maple syrup, so I omitted that other 1/8 cup.
- I used peanut butter instead of almond butter (our daycare isn’t currently nut free, and I didn’t have almond butter!).
Check out the extremely easy and healthy recipe here!
Homemade Cherry Chip Cake &
Whipped Vanilla Buttercream
Now, on a NOT healthy front! It was my husband’s birthday yesterday and I experimented with a delicious new recipe!
He often talks about eating Cherry Chip Cake as a kid, so I thought it would be fun to try a homemade version. I found one here from Completely Delicious Blog.
I made a few substitutions, that I will share with you:
- I cut the recipe in half and made one single layer cake. We had cake on the weekend with some family and friends and I knew it would be disastrous if I made a huge cake (for myself, not really for anyone else!)
- I reduced the sugar to 1/2 a cup (remember I cut the recipe in half, so I only cut about 1/4 cup out).
- I chopped my cherries and didn’t have any juice. It still had a perfect cherry flavour, but I added one drop of red food colouring to give it the light pink look of the boxed Cherry Chip Cake.
- I made a quarter of the icing, which was exactly enough to put a layer of icing on top.
- I used 18% cream instead of whipping cream because that’s all I had on hand!
You will enjoy her beautiful photos. I was barely able to eat my cake, take a photos and sing Happy Birthday with the kids being the cylcone of excitement that they were! I had decorated the table and everything, but by the time we got to cake, my 17 month old had pulled it all down!
My husband raved about this cake and said it was incredible.
It’s funny how birthdays change with kids. It definitely felt like a whirlwind, but after we put the kids to bed and had some breathing room to reflect on his 28th birthday, we felt so blessed to have our kids with us in our twenties!
And I am thankful everyday for such an incredible man! Can’t believe I get to be the one who celebrates him!
Have a Happy Easter!